Don’t let the title scare you, these little bites of joy are delicious! You may even say they’re the best brownies you’ve ever had! Both adults and kids love them.
They are made from good healthy ingredients so you don’t need to feel guilty when snacking on these, and they are dairy-free and grain-free, so even your family members with certain food intolerances can enjoy them too.
These brownies are moist, rich in flavour, and taste even better on day 2!
Black Bean Brownies
- coffee grinder
- Food processor
- 1 Tbsp. flax seed to make flax egg, a few minutes before the rest of the recipe
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw sugar slightly pulsed in a food processor or coffee grinder ahead of time is best
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- handful mini chocolate chips I look for dairy-free ones
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 12-slot muffin pan, or 24-slot mini-muffin pan (I prefer the mini size).
- In a coffee grinder, grind 1 Tbsp. of flax seeds, which should give you about 2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds total. Add this to a small bowl, and stir in 6 Tbsp. water. Let this sit for a few minutes until it gets thick.
- Drain and rinse thoroughly the black beans. Add to the food processor.
- Add to this the coconut oil, cacao powder, sea salt, vanilla extract, raw sugar, and baking powder. Once the flax eggs have thickened up, add them in as well. Pulse until very smooth.
- Scoop the mixture into the muffin tin, evenly distributing among each of the spots. Smooth out the tops with your spoon.
- Sprinkle a few mini chocolate chips on the top of each one.
- Bake for 20-26 minutes, or until the tops are dry and the edges have started to pull away from the sides. I find mine take about 25 minutes, but it depends on your oven.
- Remove from the oven, and let them cool in the pan for about 30 minutes.
- They will be fragile, so gently remove from the pan with a fork. The insides are meant to be like fudge, so don't be concerned if they seem moist.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a few days.