Making your own homemade nut milk is simple and easy. Try this recipe out as an alternative to the popular almond and cashew milk recipes. Roasting the nuts first brings out a unique flavour in the nuts that really adds something different to this drink.
It is important to buy the nuts raw and roast them yourself. If you buy them pre-roasted the oils of the nut have been heated and exposed for likely a long period of time and may have gone rancid. This will lead to an unpleasant taste. It’s really easy to roast them anyways!
Enjoy this nut milk on it’s own, with your favourite breakfast cereal, in a smoothie, or in a hot beverage! It is really easy to make, delicious, and of course dairy-free. This milk is required for my Roasted Maple Pecan Latte recipe.
Roasted Pecan Milk
- nut milk bag or cheese cloth
- high speed blender
- cookie sheet
- 1 cup raw pecans it's always good to buy pecans raw and roast them yourself (pre-roasted likely have gone rancid by the time you've bought them)
- 3 cups water
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Put pecans on a baking sheet in a single layer, and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast in the oven for10 minutes, and then stir them around and continue to roast for another 10minutes (make sure to check throughout the last 10 minutes to make sure they aren’t burning).
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Add to a blender the roasted pecans, water, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and a dash of sea salt. Blend on high until really well combined.
- You can drink the milk as is, or you can strain out the pulp for a smoother drink.
- To strain: Wash your hands well. Using a nut milk bag or cheese cloth, strain out the liquid by pouring the liquid in the cloth, and carefully squeezing out the nut milk.
- Store the liquid in ajar with a label (masking tape and marker works well!). This will keep in the fridge for 4 days. You will need to shake the liquid before using, as it will separate.
Product Links: You could use a Nut Milk Bag similar to this one.